What | Who | When | Where | Registration | What's Included | Prerequisites | Dress Code | Contact
What is the University of Scouting?
The University of Scouting is an adult leader's learning adventure! It is an action-packed, fun-filled single day of supplemental training where you choose the sessions you wish to take. Sessions are led by experienced volunteers and professionals who will help you enhance your ability to deliver a fun and exciting program to the Scouts.
The University of Scouting offers a wide range of unique adult leader training courses from the:
- College of Cub Scouting: Cub Scout leaders can pick up tips on "Making the Most of your Den Chief" or "Keeping Chaos from Controlling your Den" or one of many other courses filled with tips, hints, and fun suggestions.
- College of Boy Scouting: Boy Scout and Varisty Scout leaders can learn about any of BSA's high-adventure bases (including The Summit) or receive some pointers on "Meaningful Scoutmaster Conferences" or a learn more from a variety of topics. *Senior Patrol Leaders may attend the SPL Academy with Scoutmaster approval.
- College of Venturing: Venturing advisors can spend the day on Venturing-specific topics. *Venturing youth may participate in the Venturing Academy!
- College of Commissioner Science: Commissioners have a slate of offerings to help earn a Bachelor's, Master's, or Doctorate of Commissioner Science.
- College of General Studies: Leaders and parents can take other general studies topics which span a variety of Scouting Programs.
* Qualified youth may attend:
- Trainer's EDGE course. Please visit here for qualifications.
- SPL Academy
- Venturing Academy
Back to top
Who should attend University of Scouting?
YOU should attend for sure, along with hundreds of your fellow Scout leaders and Scouting parents from Circle Ten Council and all of North Texas. All registered leaders, potential leaders and parents looking for the very best program for their youth in Scouting will find a variety of class sessions relevant to their current, or future, position in Scouting.
When is the next session?
Saturday, January 3, 2015 from 7:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. See the Course catalog for additional schedule details. Check-in and walk-up registration opens at 7:00 a.m., opening ceremonies at 8:00 a.m. with the first class beginning at 8:30 a.m. The last class ends at 5:00 p.m. The day's schedule was extended to accomodate the extra time between classes and expanding lunch to a full hour.
Where will the University be held?
We are pleased to return to Southern Methodist University again this year! You may access the SMU information page here
and the Course Catalog (coming soon) has additional campus information, parking, and building assignments.
The January 2015 session will be available for online pre-registration via CampMaster
beginning October 15, 2014. Pre-registration will close December 29, 2014. University of Scouting registration fliers will be distributed at Roundtables and other district meetings beginning in October. The Course Catalog (coming soon) contains instructions on how to access CampMaster and schedule classes.
The early-bird fee is $25, which runs from open of registration until November 30, 2014. Regular pre-registration is $30 which is valid from December 1, 2014 until close of pre-registration on December 29, 2014. WALK-UP REGISTRATION IS $40. Save some money and register early! The fees remain the same whether you take one class or a full day of classes.
What is included in my registration fee?
In addition to a full day of fun, filled with interesting class sessions, handouts and fellowship with other leaders, everyone will receive lunch, a certificate via email, and a commemorative 2015-edition patch. After the event, notes from many of the sessions will be available online.
Are there any prerequisites to attend?
Generally, no, however, some courses are designed for registered leaders of the Boys Scouts of America as they are position-specific trainings. The Dean of each College will specify any additional prerequisites in the Course Catalog (coming soon).
For those working towards a degree in the College of Commissioner Science, you must download, complete and bring the following with you:
- Doctorate of Commissioner Science Award Knot Requirements
- Doctorate of Commissioner Science Award Knot Tracking Worksheet
Back to top
How do I dress for the University of Scouting?
If you are a parent, please dress comfortably for the day but with appropriate business casual clothing to respect the campus and youth that might attend.
For registered leaders, please wear the BSA field uniform appropriate for your Scouting Program.
For Scouts attending Trainer's EDGE, the SPL Academy, or the Venturing Academy, please wear your respective uniforms.
Back to top
What if I have questions, suggestions, or comments?
Please review the Course Catalog (coming soon) for full details. If you still have questions, suggestions or comments please contact the Circle Ten Council University of Scouting Chancellor via email.