2019 UNIVERSITY OF SCOUTING AT SMU
What | Who | When | Where | Registration | What's Included | Prerequisites | Dress Code | Contact | 2019 Map | 2019 Parking Pass
REGISTRATION OPENING SOON - STAY TUNED!
COST: $30 Per participant through midnight December 16, 2018 COST: $45 day of the event
FOR STEP-BY-STEP REGISTRATION & SCHEDULING INSTRUCTIONS: click here
What is the University of Scouting?
The University of Scouting is an adult leader's learning adventure! It is an action-packed, fun-filled single day of supplemental training where you choose the classes you wish to take. Classes are led by experienced volunteers and professionals who will help you enhance your ability to deliver a fun and exciting program to the Scouts.
The University of Scouting offers a wide range of unique adult leader training courses from the:
- College of Cub Scouting: Cub Scout leaders can pick up tips, hints, and fun suggestions which will help their dens, the pack, and most importantly their own Scouts. Explore new cooking ideas, learn to tie knots, or even have some magical experiences during your meetings.
- College of Boy Scouting: Boy Scout and Varsity Scout leaders can learn about any of BSA's high-adventure bases or receive some pointers on "Meaningful Scoutmaster Conferences" or a learn more from a variety of topics. *Senior Patrol Leaders may attend the SPL Academy with Scoutmaster approval.
- College of Venturing: Venturing advisors can spend the day on Venturing-specific topics. *Venturing youth may participate in the Venturing Academy!
- College of Commissioner Science: Commissioners have a slate of offerings to help earn a Bachelor's, Master's, or Doctorate of Commissioner Science.
- College of General Studies: Leaders and parents can take other general studies topics which span a variety of Scouting Programs.
* Qualified youth may attend:
- SPL Academy
- Venturing Academy
Back to top
Who should attend University of Scouting?
YOU should attend for sure, along with hundreds of your fellow Scout leaders and Scouting parents from Circle Ten Council and all of North Texas. All registered leaders, potential leaders and parents looking for the very best program for their youth in Scouting will find a variety of classes relevant to their current, or future, position in Scouting.
When is the next session?
Saturday, January 5, 2019 from 7:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. 2019 New Course Catalog Check-in and walk-up registration opens at 7:00 a.m., opening ceremonies at 8:00 a.m. with the first class beginning at 8:30 a.m. The last class ends at 5:00 p.m. Don't forget to visit the MIDWAY out on the lawn in front of Dallas Hall. Registration closes midnight December 16, 2018.
Where will the University be held?
We are pleased to return to Southern Methodist University again! 2019 SMU map and parking pass coming soon.
Online pre-registration & class scheduling via CampMaster opening soon. Pre-registration & class scheduling will close midnight December 16, 2018. The 2019 New Course Catalog contains instructions on how to access CampMaster and schedule classes.
STEP-BY-STEP REGISTRATION & SCHEDULING INSTRUCTIONS: coming soon
What is included in my registration fee?
In addition to a full day of fun, filled with interesting classes, handouts and fellowship with other leaders, everyone will receive lunch and a commemorative 2019-edition patch. After the event, notes from many of the sessions will be available online.
Are there any prerequisites to attend?
Generally, no, however, some courses are designed for registered leaders of the Boys Scouts of America as they are position-specific trainings. The Dean of each College will specify any additional prerequisites in the 2019 New Course Catalog. CLASS SCHEDULING CLOSES MIDNIGHT, DECEMBER 16, 2018
For those working towards a degree in the College of Commissioner Science, you must download, complete and bring the following with you:
- Doctorate of Commissioner Science Award Knot Requirements
- Doctorate of Commissioner Science Award Knot Tracking Worksheet
Back to top
How do I dress for the University of Scouting?
If you are a parent, please dress comfortably for the day but with appropriate business casual clothing to respect the campus and youth that might attend.
For registered leaders, please wear the BSA field uniform appropriate for your Scouting Program.
For Scouts attending the SPL Academy or the Venturing Academy, please wear your respective uniforms.
Back to top
What if I have questions, suggestions, or comments?
Please review the 2019 New Course Catalog for full details. If you still have questions, suggestions or comments please contact the Circle Ten Council Program Director via email.