Where | When | Cost | Registration | Prerequisites | Accomodations | Meals | Special Diet | Medical Information | Weather | Packing | Uniform Requirements | Financial Assistance | Contact | Circle Ten Council Home
- The course fee is $280 for those held at Circle Ten Council camps, a deposit of $140 required at the time of registration.
- The course fee for the Philmont course is $550, a deposit of $100 required at the time of registration.
- Payments made be made online up until 30 days out.
- Payment in full is due for each course 30 days out.
When registering online, a credit card payment may be used at the time of registration. If you register by mail, a deposit of at least $140 for the local courses, or $100 for the Philmont course, is due with registration.
Back to Top
Are there prerequisites for attending Wood Badge?
Yes. You must have completed Youth Protection training and the basic training course(s) for your current Scouting position. You must also have completed the outdoor skills training course(s) appropriate for your current Scouting position. For more detailed information, please review the Training Prerequisites.
- For the two weekend format, you will spend the first weekend sleeping in tents you provide. In you are unable to supply your own tent, arrangements can be made to provide one for you. The second weekend will also be spent in tents you provide, but the tents must be small enough to carry in a backpack. Modern restrooms and hot showers will be available.
- For the Philmont course, you will spend Sunday night through Wednesday night in a tent at the Philmont Training Center. These are large, two-person cavas wall tents with concrete floors, electric lights, and electric outlet, wardrobe, and two twin-sized beds with matresses. Modern restrooms and hot showers are just steps away. Thursday and Friday night will be spent in a canvas wall tent at Rayado Ridge Camp. These tents are more "rustic", with two twin-sized beds with matresses but no electricty or wardrobe.
What about meals?
The Quartermaster Crew has a great menu planned for the first weekend and a portion of the second weekend. As part of the outdoor experience, most of the meals for the second weekend will be cooked "Patrol Style" in your campsites.
While at the Philmont Training Center, your meals will be prepared for you and you will eat in the dining hall. While at Rayado Ridge Camp, you will be preparing and eating Philmont Trail Food.
Back to Top
What if I need a special diet?
If you have a special diet requirement, let us know as soon as possible. Please let the Course Director know on your Personal Resource Questionnaire of your needs. Your Quartermaster Crew will make every effort to meet your needs, but may not be able to accommodate persons following strict diets for religious or medical needs.
- At Philmont, its isolated location limits the availability of many specialized or kosher food items, so you may need to bring these items from home.
Are there any special medical requirements for this course?
Yes. You will need a completed, current BSA medical form, including parts A, B, C,(and D for Philmont). You may download the form here. Please make the Course Director aware of any medical conditions or accomodations needed.
Back to Top
- Weather in Texas varies by season and can change in the blink of an eye, so be prepared, and check the weather reports frequently.
- For Philmont, the weather will often be cool and possibly wet. You should expect cool mornings, warm days, abundant sunshine, and cool evenings. Be prepared for colder nights and rain, though, as weather can change rapidly.
What are the uniform requirements?
You will need to wear the full Field Uniform for your current position in Scouting. The full uniform consists of a Scout shirt, Scout pants or shorts, Scout belt, and Scout socks. You will also require an activity uniform consisting of the course T-shirt and Scout pants or shorts.
Back to Top
Is financial assistance available?
Yes. We want Wood badge to be available to all Scouters. Often, participants are partially sponsored byu their units or their chartered organizations. Scholarship assistance is available. Please contact your course director if you would like to discuss scholarship opportunities or an alternative payment schedule. The best way to manage the course fee is to register early and make regular payments until the fee is paid in full.
Back to Top