What | Who | When | Where | Registration | What's Included | Prerequisites | Dress Code | Contact | 2017 Map coming soon | 2017 Parking Pass coming soon
COST: $25 Per participant for early registration COST: $40 day of the event
Registration will open November 1, 2016 on CampMaster
What is the University of Scouting?
The University of Scouting is an adult leader's learning adventure! It is an action-packed, fun-filled single day of supplemental training where you choose the sessions you wish to take. Sessions are led by experienced volunteers and professionals who will help you enhance your ability to deliver a fun and exciting program to the Scouts.
The University of Scouting offers a wide range of unique adult leader training courses from the:
- College of Cub Scouting: Cub Scout leaders can pick up tips, hints, and fun suggestions which will help their dens, the pack, and most importantly their own Scouts. Explore new cooking ideas, learn to tie knots, or even have some magical experiences during your meetings.
- College of Boy Scouting: Boy Scout and Varsity Scout leaders can learn about any of BSA's high-adventure bases (including The Summit) or receive some pointers on "Meaningful Scoutmaster Conferences" or a learn more from a variety of topics. *Senior Patrol Leaders may attend the SPL Academy with Scoutmaster approval.
- College of Venturing: Venturing advisors can spend the day on Venturing-specific topics. *Venturing youth may participate in the Venturing Academy!
- College of Commissioner Science: Commissioners have a slate of offerings to help earn a Bachelor's, Master's, or Doctorate of Commissioner Science.
- College of General Studies: Leaders and parents can take other general studies topics which span a variety of Scouting Programs.
* Qualified youth may attend:
- Trainer's EDGE course. Please visit here for qualifications.
- SPL Academy
- Venturing Academy
Back to top
Who should attend University of Scouting?
YOU should attend for sure, along with hundreds of your fellow Scout leaders and Scouting parents from Circle Ten Council and all of North Texas. All registered leaders, potential leaders and parents looking for the very best program for their youth in Scouting will find a variety of class sessions relevant to their current, or future, position in Scouting.
When is the next session?
Saturday, January 21, 2017 from 7:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. 2017 New Couse Catalog coming soon. Check-in and walk-up registration opens at 7:00 a.m., opening ceremonies at 8:00 a.m. with the first class beginning at 8:30 a.m. The last class ends at 5:00 p.m.
Where will the University be held?
We are pleased to return to Southern Methodist University again! 2017 SMU information page coming soon. 2017 New Couse Catalog coming soon will contain additional campus information, parking, and building assignments.
The January 2017 session will be available for online pre-registration via CampMaster
beginning November 1, 2016
. Pre-registration will close in December. University of Scouting registration fliers will be distributed at Roundtables and other district meetings beginning in October. The 2017 New Couse Catalog coming soon
will contain instructions on how to access CampMaster and schedule classes.
What is included in my registration fee?
In addition to a full day of fun, filled with interesting class sessions, handouts and fellowship with other leaders, everyone will receive lunch, a certificate via email, and a commemorative 2017-edition patch. After the event, notes from many of the sessions will be available online.
Are there any prerequisites to attend?
Generally, no, however, some courses are designed for registered leaders of the Boys Scouts of America as they are position-specific trainings. The Dean of each College will specify any additional prerequisites in the 2017 New Couse Catalog coming soon.
For those working towards a degree in the College of Commissioner Science, you must download, complete and bring the following with you:
- Doctorate of Commissioner Science Award Knot Requirements
- Doctorate of Commissioner Science Award Knot Tracking Worksheet
Back to top
How do I dress for the University of Scouting?
If you are a parent, please dress comfortably for the day but with appropriate business casual clothing to respect the campus and youth that might attend.
For registered leaders, please wear the BSA field uniform appropriate for your Scouting Program.
For Scouts attending Trainer's EDGE, the SPL Academy, or the Venturing Academy, please wear your respective uniforms.
Back to top
What if I have questions, suggestions, or comments?
Please review the 2017 New Couse Catalog coming soon for full details. If you still have questions, suggestions or comments please contact the Circle Ten Council University of Scouting Chancellor via email, once information is posted.